I’VE WAITED A LONG TIME, BUT THE HEADLINE FINALLY CAME. It was in last weeks The Land, the newspaper read by most Farmers.
“Carbon Farming Set to become Mainstream”
YAY. IF ITS IN THE LAND, ITS OFFICIAL.
It was a report on the Soil Carbon Credits which have been issued – which we reported on a week or so ago. CFA bought 10 at $100 each!
The newspaper copy read:
“There is a mainstream demand from Farmers for organic carbon rich soils”. The website from soil analysis laboratory EAL crashed after they offered free soil tests. WOW. Good news.
But, its really important for Farmers to understand that just doing Soil Tests won’t get them in line for Soil Carbon Credits.
TIME FOR SOIL CARBON METHOD 101
Cutting through the confusion
Very broadly, this is how the Soil Carbon Method runs if you want to trade your Soil Carbon Increases. (More details at the half day Carbon Farming 101)
- YES, Measure your ‘baseline’ Soil Carbon – BUT, it’s in a very particular way. The way the soil is gathered, the size of the soil core, how it is prepared to send to the Laboratory and WHERE the soil tests are taken are all prescribed in the METHOD.RE the SOIL TESTING: YOU GET TO DECIDE:
• How deep to sample – remember, the deeper the Soil Carbon goes, the more permanently stored it is.
• How many soil samples to take – Obviously the more soil samples the better to detect a change!
- THEN GO FORTH AND IMPROVE YOUR SOILS (within some more ‘guidelines’)
Undertake your ‘new’ activity – again there are ‘guidelines’ for this, so don’t head out and put something carbon enriching on your country before exploring if it meets the requirements (if you are looking to be paid for the Soil Carbon increase)!
- WHEN YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE INCREASED SOIL CARBON MEASURE AGAIN
According to the method
- IF THE SOIL CARBON HAS INCREASED:
Write an ‘offsets report’, have the project audited and put in a claim for Carbon Credits.
…”Simples” as they say on the telly.
Beware, the devil is in the details! We advise obtaining in-depth information, such as you’ll receive at the National Carbon Farming Conference & Expo.
So, if all the Carbon Farming Language is NEW and a bit confusing, then the half day Carbon Farming 101 workshop is for YOU.
It will prepare you to get the most out of your Conference experience.
Many other topics to be covered – more soon!