Did you see ABC Landline this week? Large cattle company NAPCO has gone Carbon Neutral!
Isn’t that great – I think I read that NAPCO’s carbon footprint was around 300,000 tons CO2e a year – they are the big guys! I will be nominating them in the Carbon Cocky Awards for sure for Reducing Carbon Emissions!
It reminded me of the Shakespearean lines from Hamlet:
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?”
(You can find the quite inspiring longer form quote here.)
WHY? Because it reminds me there is another confusion in the Carbon Farming Market which can lead to misunderstandings.
So let me clear this up. To go Carbon Neutral, NAPCO has been required to:
- Count its Carbon Emissions – from cattle, machines, travel, etc – literally ‘muster’ all of their emissions
- Balance this against any Carbon Sequestration from vegetation etc
- Commit to continual improvements in lowering emissions – genetic improvements etc
- Offset the remaining emissions i.e. buy Carbon Credits from someone who is either proven to be reducing emissions OR sequestering Carbon
I understand they have been using a combination of Australian Carbon Credit Units (ACCUs) and International Units – (which are much cheaper).
Meanwhile (back at the ranch) CFA has long been encouraging Farmers to explore how THEY can earn a Carbon Credit. It’s why we host the the National Carbon Farming Conference & Expo.
WE can be the SUPPLY that the NAPCO’s of the world need. Otherwise there are only International Units.
The confusion arises around this story because suddenly Farmers think – and call me asking – ‘Do I have to count my Emissions’? … ‘Do I have to go Carbon Neutral?’
The very simple answer is NO. You have a choice:
- Go carbon neutral AND PAY to offset your emissions. The ‘noble’ approach.
- Earn a Carbon Credit AND SUPPLY those who wish to go carbon neutral – build an industry the Governments cannot ignore.
- Do nothing. AND risk ‘the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune’ i.e. Public opinion on the Farming Industry as part of the Climate Change problem. Not to mention suffering the effects of Climate Change!
Obviously, CFA believes that to be paid is better than to pay! And we won’t mainstream the Carbon Farming Industry if we choose the ‘paying’ pathway.
That is, we believe that it is better “to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them!”
Come, REGISTER NOW for the Conference, AND WE’LL SHOW YOU HOW!!
The CSIRO is asking if you can spare 10 minutes to complete a short excercise about the co benefits of carbon farming and land use.
Group discounts (5+ registrations) are available for the 2019 National Carbon Farming Conference & Expo.