Training – For your Farming or Landcare Group
Now is the time to learn more about Direct Action and how you could win a piece of the ERF at the next auction round!
However, you can start a project at any time, and it’s not dependant on the ERF.
You can sell on the Secondary Market.
To facilitate the growth of the Market and opportunities for Farmers, Carbon Farmers of Australia has been at the forefront of Training since 2014. We have half day, one day or two day programs which have been developed over the years to be relevant to farmers. We can customise the training for any particular method or group as well.
Outline of topics:
1. Introductions – to participants and CFA
Aims for the day.
2. Carbon Fundamentals Introduction
- Climate Change and Agriculture – Threat and Opportunity.
- Agriculture’s Role in Global Warming – Getting ahead of the curve. Emphasis on role of emissions reductions and sequestration.
3. Why the CFI/ERF?
- What is the Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI) – now referred to as the Emissions Reduction Fund (ERF) and also known as the Climate Solutions Fund (CSF)?
- Brief background to Australian Trading System – small beginnings in the Gillard era; Prime Ministers fall by the wayside; but Carbon Farming Trade survives! ERF enables legislation.
- Benefits of sequestration/emissions reduction. The best win/win climate change response.
- Co-benefits of Farming Sequestration (carbon storage in vegetation and soils)
- Post ERF targets. What happens next?
4. Opportunities for Australian Farmers CFI/ERF and beyond.
- Reducing Emissions
- Carbon Capture and Burial – The Farmers way!
- What is a ‘method’ and why do I need one?
- ‘Project’ explained.
- Ownership explained.
- 25-year/100-year projects explained.
5. The CFI/ERF Process
- A Market Made by Government
- Rules and Regulations
- Main Players
- Introduction to: How to Enter the Market
- What is Aggregation, and how does it work? (introduction)
6. Potential New Revenue Streams
- Activities Paying Now
- Approved methods explained (top level)
- Activities Anticipated – Departments work list
- Can I benefit in more than one way? Whole of Farm Carbon Audit concept explained.
- Potential ‘evolution’ of methods – what is coming through the pipeline.
7. The Two Markets
- Kyoto and Non-Kyoto offsets – Price Expectations
- World Trends – What happened at COP21 Paris meeting and what does it mean for Australia?
- Value of the Two Markets – What’s the Secondary market in Australia and is it viable?
- Portrait of a Voluntary/Corporate Buyer (Secondary market buyer)
- Charismatic Offsets – Soil carbon as ‘gourmet carbon’. Higher value?
- Brand Management – Direct Marketing your offsets.
8. Methods Explained
- How to participate in a methods- Potential Landholder
- Soil Carbon method – What activities are allowed?
- On farm examples.
- Maximising Benefits/Optimising Returns/Driving down the cost of compliance
- You can now have a 25 year project (not 100 years) what does this mean for your credits?
Day 2 – Advanced
1. From Fit and proper person to Project Application and beyond
2. Steps to project
- Apply to register – including open ANREU account.
- When Registered – Undertake project
- Submit reports/audit procedure.
- Apply for ACCUs (devil in the detail)
- Some worked examples of a Whole of Farm Carbon Audit.
3. So you want to be an Aggregator?
- How to become an aggregator
- Roles, responsibilities.
- Structure etc.
- Potential legal issues
- Which methods best suit aggregation?
Could YOU put in a project and win a Government contract for 5-10 years, at a known price?
To find out, just call Louisa Kiely on 0417 280 540 or shoot her an email.
Carbon Farming Newsletter
Would you like to receive regular news and alerts about key developments in Carbon Farming direct to your inbox?
Sign up now and receive a copy of the original Carbon Farming Handbook – absolutely FREE!